Wednesday, April 20, 2011

What the heck is wrong with me? Anything?

As I posted on Facebook, my doctor wanted me to see a hematologist because my platelet level seems to be running high. OK, fine, except the hematologist he wants me to see isn't in my plan. So I contact a friend who is very ill and has a doc for everything. She gives me a name, but tells me (I thought) not to see this other doc in the practice. I guess I misunderstood. I made an appointment with the one she dislikes. Oh well. Anyhow, I had my doctor's office fax over the recent blood work. I've only been seeing my doctor since I had that crazy infected lymph node on my jaw last August, but I had the prior doc's records sent over. My current doc sent over ALL the labwork, so it actually went back over four years. (Before that, most of my time was spent at the OB/GYN's office, not the GP.)

The hematologist looked at the labwork and said that my platelets were at about the same level as four years ago. REALLY? Nobody noticed that? My prior doc never mentioned that the platelets were wacky, and my doc didn't mention that it had been at this level for four years. Hmmm. OK. Also, my red blood cell count is in the high end of the normal range. OK, nobody had mentioned that either. Took a little blood today, and the cells are at least properly formed (a good sign - malformed cells would/could be cancerous, right?). Took more blood to run more tests. I should know by Monday. Sigh.

So am I having any symptoms? Well here is where it all gets wacky. Since I am on an antidepressant, most of my symptoms can be explained away as a side effect of either the depression or the medication. Fatigue, frequently chilly, night sweats, etc. I did tell the doctor recently that my hands are sometimes tingly for no apparent reason. I think I need to have a talk with the doctor about the antidepressant, but they ALL have side effects, and this one has been pretty good for me. Regardless, I still feel more tired than I think I should. I actually DID mention this to the doc four years ago, but it turned out that I was deficient in vitamin D, and I felt so much better after that, so I didn't take that any further.

However, I don't think I should be so weary, even with 3 kids, a dog, and a cat. It is so hard to drag my weary ass out of bed each day.

Reading up on possible diagnoses, well, I am not amused, but I guess I should be thankful. We are talking complete diet overhaul - getting rid of pasta (hello, my kids are Italian and love their pasta), sugar, caffeine (what do you think helps me stay awake?!), and alcohol. There may be a medication, or a bloodletting (well, that IS basically what they do!) involved as well. I'm not making any changes until I know for sure, of course. So now I need to haul my weary ass off to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment